Interventions such as personalized nutrition, intermittent fasting, exercise, and gene therapy can help slow down the aging process and increase longevity
𝑸𝙪𝒆𝙨𝒕𝙞𝒐𝙣𝒔 𝒕𝙤 𝙞𝒏𝙨𝒑𝙞𝒓𝙚 𝙙𝒊𝙨𝒄𝙪𝒔𝙨𝒊𝙤𝒏
What is the focus of Dr. David Sinclair's work?
—Dr. David Sinclair's work focuses on slowing or reversing the effects of aging through behavioral, nutritional, and drug interventions.
How can personalized nutrition and intermittent fasting help with longevity?
—Personalized nutrition and intermittent fasting can help slow down the aging process and increase longevity by activating longevity genes, resting the body, and resetting the epigenome.
What are the hallmarks of aging?
—Aging is caused by 8-9 hallmarks, which can be slowed down or reversed to prevent diseases associated with aging.
How can fasting extend lifespan?
—Fasting can extend lifespan by activating longevity genes and allowing the body to rest and reset its epigenome.
What are the most important pathways for longevity?
—Sirtuins and mTOR pathways are the most important for longevity, and leucine can be pro-aging if taken in excess.
Aging as a Disease and Reversible Process
- 🧬 Dr. David Sinclair believes that aging is a disease that can be slowed or halted, rather than a natural consequence of life.
- 🧬 "Aging is 80 to 90% the cause of heart disease, Alzheimer's. If we didn't get old and our bodies stayed youthful, we would not get those diseases."
- 🧬 Aging is a loss of information in the body, and 80% of our future longevity and health is controlled by the epigenetic information, the control systems.
- 🧬 Growth hormone is pro-aging, and animals with low growth hormone live the longest by far.
- 🩺 There is potential for a one-time gene therapy treatment to reverse aging and restore vision in humans, with the possibility of extending this treatment to the entire body in the future.
- 🎂 "Those people who take their age back a year or more, we think we can go back 20 years. Eventually, they'll get a birthday card from me and it's a negative birthday card."
Longevity and Anti-Aging Strategies
- 🍽️ Fasting and periods of not being fed can extend our lifespan by turning on defensive genes that protect us from aging and disease.
- 🍽️ Fasting for longer periods, such as 48 or 72 hours, can trigger greater longevity benefits through the autophagy system.
- 🍭 "These two pathways, I think, are the most important for longevity."
- 🍷 Resveratrol given every second day on a normal diet dramatically extended the lifespan of mice, living over three years.
- 🔬 The potential to reverse biological age by a decade or more through specific lifestyle changes and cutting-edge methods is a game-changer in the field of aging research.
#Health #Wellness #HubermanLab #DavidSinclair #Longevity
00:00 🧬 Aging is caused by epigenetic changes to DNA, and can be slowed or reversed with interventions like personalized nutrition and zero sugar, grain-free, keto friendly cereal.
- Dr. David Sinclair's work focuses on slowing or reversing the effects of aging through behavioral, nutritional, and drug interventions.
- Today's episode discusses the biology of aging and tools to intervene in the aging process, and is a primer for the upcoming lifespan podcast featuring Dr. David Sinclair launching January 5th, 2022.
- InsideTracker and Magic Spoon offer personalized nutrition and zero sugar, grain-free, keto friendly cereal, respectively, to help you reach your health goals.
- Aging is a disease and is caused by 8-9 hallmarks, which can be slowed down or reversed to prevent diseases associated with aging.
- Aging is a loss of information due to entropy, mainly caused by the epigenome, which controls which genes are switched on and off in response to external factors.
- DNA is marked with chemicals that control which genes are switched on and off, and scratches to the DNA can disrupt this process, leading to aging and diseases.
19:48 🤔 Practicing intermittent fasting and exercising can help build muscle and improve longevity by activating longevity genes and regulating metabolism.
- Epigenetic factors, such as growth hormone, body size, and lifestyle, can have a greater impact on longevity than genetic factors.
- Fasting can extend lifespan by activating longevity genes and allowing the body to rest and reset its epigenome.
- Skipping a meal a day, preferably at the beginning or end of the day, is the best way to start intermittent fasting and can lead to improved metabolic regulation and better breath.
- Occasionally I do fast for longer than 20 hours, but I find it difficult to go more than 24 hours and I don't supplement with electrolytes.
- Sirtuins and mTOR pathways are the most important for longevity, and leucine can be pro-aging if taken in excess.
- I practice intermittent fasting and exercise to build muscle while avoiding long-term health risks.
40:01 🤔 Enjoy life in moderation and find an optimal balance between fasting and nourishment to slow the aging process and increase longevity.
- Pulsing a restricted diet with occasional nourishment can help the body perceive adversity and slow the aging process.
- Giving resveratrol to mice every other day on a normal diet extended their lifespan dramatically.
- Take Metformin in the morning and skip it on days when you exercise to get strong muscles and live longer.
- Berberine is an effective alternative to Metformin for boosting energetics in the body and increasing insulin sensitivity.
- Berberine has been shown to be safe in humans and resveratrol should be taken with a fatty substance like olive oil or yogurt to increase absorption.
- Ingesting small amounts of food or drink during a fast may not break the fast depending on the context, but it is important to enjoy life and find an optimal balance.
55:49 🧪 Taking a gram of NMN daily with resveratrol can increase NAD levels, while stevia is a safe sweetener and science journalists should post credentials.
- Fasting and exercise can help boost the activity of sirtuin genes, which can help control aging, but supplementation can also be used to rev up the system.
- Resveratrol activates sirtuins, but NAD levels must be maintained to keep them working, which can be done by taking NMN or NR.
- Taking a gram of NMN daily in the morning with resveratrol can increase NAD levels by twofold or more.
- Taking NAD+ supplements may improve insulin sensitivity and energy levels, but clinical trials are needed to confirm this.
- Stevia is a naturally sourced sweetener that has not been shown to be bad for you, while artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame may have negative effects on the gut microbiome.
- Science journalists should be required to post their credentials alongside their name to give readers an additional grain of salt when reading articles.
01:12:13 🤔 Tracking blood work, eating plants, exercising, fasting, and gene therapy can help slow down aging and potentially reset the body to a younger state.
- Excess iron can accelerate aging by increasing the number of senescent cells in the body, so tracking blood work over time is important to understand what is optimal for an individual.
- Eating dietary cholesterol has almost no impact on blood cholesterol levels, contrary to what was previously believed.
- Plants have two benefits: high density nutrition and xenohormetic molecules that activate sirtuin genes and help kill senescent cells, but antioxidants should be taken in moderation.
- Taking antioxidants may not be beneficial for longevity, and exercise can help maintain hormone levels and muscle mass.
- Fasting and caloric restriction can delay infertility in female animals and potentially reactivate neuroplasticity.
- We can use gene therapy to reverse the age of cells and potentially reset the body to a younger state, with the possibility of at-home tests for tumors becoming available in the next 5-10 years.
01:46:30 🤔 Ingesting methylene blue and monitoring body temperature, heart rate variability, and voice can help extend lifespan, but it's unclear if this is a safe practice.
- I try to compensate for not having regular access to a sauna by making changes to my diet and exercise.
- Obesity increases senescent cells in fat, which secrete inflammatory molecules that accelerate aging, potentially due to a lack of response to glucose and leptin.
- Inhibiting inflammation in the hypothalamus can extend lifespan by maintaining the expression of GnRH, a hormone that controls longevity.
- People are ingesting methylene blue to extend lifespan, but it's unclear if this is a safe practice.
- Measuring biological age and using FDA approved devices to monitor body temperature, heart rate variability, and voice can help detect illnesses and predict potential health risks.
- You don't need to give a reason for not wanting something, just say "I don't want this" and you'll be done.
01:57:11 🎉 Richard Feynman's dislike of dental technology and the pandemic's thirst for knowledge have opened the door for experts to communicate directly to the public, and David is building a system to measure and improve health.
- Richard Feynman, a renowned physicist, was vocal about his dislike of dental technology and its dangers due to his understanding of the physics and biology.
- Experts who are brilliant communicators are now able to talk directly to the public, something that has never been possible until now.
- The pandemic has created a thirst for knowledge and an openness to health practices, and Andrew is thankful for Sinclair's example of being the first to get out there with his message.
- David is building a system to help people measure and improve their health, with a biological age test that can predict future health and time of death, and a negative birthday card for those who take their age back a year or more.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel, Apple and Spotify, leave us comments and suggestions, support us on Patreon, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter.
- Thorne Supplements are the highest quality and precision, and you can get 20% off any of their products at thorne.com/u/huberman.
02:10:06 🎙️ The Huberman Lab Podcast launches Wednesday with the Lifespan podcast featuring Dr David Sinclair; subscribe on YouTube, Apple, and Spotify.
- The Huberman Lab Podcast channel launches Wednesday, January 5th with the first episode of the Lifespan podcast featuring Dr David Sinclair; subscribe on YouTube, Apple, and Spotify to learn about aging and how to slow and reverse it.
------------------------------------- 2:10:43 2023-12-19T03:03:13Z